What is KDE?
- A Free Graphical Desktop for UNIX
- A Rich Application Framework
- An Internet Community
What is a KDE app?
- Most are written in C++
- Bindings available for C, Java and Python
- Almost always uses the Qt GUI toolkit
- At very least uses the Core KDE Library
KDE-based applications inherit a wide range of abilities
- All the benefits of Qt
- Full session management
- Large library of rich standard dialogs and UI elements
- Simplified Internationalization and localization
- KParts for Component Programming
- Plugin-based IO: Web, FTP, Digital Camera(!)...
- DocBookXML-based multi-format documentation tools
- Easy Desktop IPC with DCOP
- New Printing Tools with CUPS
- C++ Compiler, Qt, KDE libraries and headers (-devel)
- Tools and documentation from developer.kde.org
- Start with the Qt tutorial and examples
- KDE 2.0 Development Book (David Sweet, et al)